Online gambling in Canada
Online gambling is both legal and illegal in Canada. For example, when we speak about players, we can say that they have all rights to play online in any casinos, but if these casinos are illegal on this territory, it means that the law can’t protect their players in case of fraud. What about online Canadian casino operators, they have strict conditions of working, because Canadian laws are mostly aimed at casino’s operators and they are trying to forbid online gambling. According to the law it’s impossible and illegal to manage online casino in the territory of Canada without government’s permission, but the law doesn’t say a lot about doing it outside Canada. This situation is called “grey zone” of the law about online gambling in Canada. So it means that players have a big choice of off-shore online casinos, but they don’t have any kind of protection by their government, because their authorities don’t have a right to control them. That’s why online Canadian casinos can avoid some standards of online gaming and play their own dishonest game.
What can fans of gambling do in this situation?
Anyway, in the world there are other organizations that control this sphere of business and give licences to all safe and honest online casino operators. And also it is better to read reviews on all casinos and choose the best and the safest one that can satisfy all your desires.
Another interesting fact. In each territory we can find a special organization that creates rules, which help to control gambling in its area. This is the reason why in each territory the list of legal games can be different.
Gambling Laws in Canada
In 1969, was added an amendment to the Canadian Criminal Code that decriminalized a number of previously prohibited types of gambling. The amendment allowed the holding of lotteries and gave the country’s provinces the right to legalize and regulate other types of gambling activities. This fact created a struggle between provincial and federal government bodies for the right to hold lotteries and receive money from them in the budget. Ultimately, the provincial governments won and in 1985 received the exclusive right to hold lotteries.
They also received exclusive rights to organize gambling with slot machines, computers and other video devices. In 1998, the ban on the game of dice was lifted, and since 2009, the provinces legalized and began to regulate online games.
There are articles that must be respected by all organizations that are connected with gambling business:
- article 204 controls the activity of horse racing;
- article 206 is a list of forbidden gambling games and activities;
- article 207 permits provinces to create their own lotteries and gambling establishments.
And let’s speak about taxes. As we all know in many countries even winnings are taxed. For example in the USA if your winning is more than 1200$, the State takes almost the half part of all sum. In India a winner must pay 30% and in the UK 15%.
But what about Canada?
In Canada you will receive all your money. So there is no point to be afraid of taxes, because the winning isn’t considered as a regular income. Only if gambling is a main source of making money, it is taxed. Be happy, enjoy gambling in Canada and win your jackpot!
Gambling Culture in Canada
The story of Canadian gambling can seem strange, confusing and maybe a little bit funny. In the territory of Canada the gambling was always existing. But sometimes government tried to forbid or take it under their personal control. That’s why before 1970 any form of gambling was considerate illegal. But a real increase of gambling started in 1969 when all areas were given a permission to raise funds with the help of lotteries for a valuable goal like the Olympiad in Montreal. After 1985 according to the laws of Canada gambling could officially live and develop, though with some restrictions.
The legal forms of gambling are lotteries, horse racing bets, charity games and gambling games in casinos, but, unfortunately, not all of them are legal in each area of Canada.
Nowadays gambling takes a big part of Canadians’ lives. It’s not always some kind of addiction, but for many people it is an interesting pastime. There are magnificent land-casinos that can impress any person in the world. They stay in picturesque places. And inside these casinos you can find exciting restaurants and even theaters with famous actors and dancers. Mostly these entertaining centres stay in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta. The most famous of them are Casino Niagara, Casino de Montral, Caesars Windsor Hotel & Casino and some others.
Both online casinos and land-casinos can offer a great list of any gambling and their variety: slot machines, roulette games, poker, Keno, Bingo, blackjack with such versions as Spanish 21, Zappit Blackjack, Pontoon etc.
Online Casino Licensing
As it was mentioned earlier safe online casinos must have licences given by some responsible authorities that control online gambling. Among them the most famous are “The UK Gambling Commission”(UKGC), “Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission”, “Alderney Gambling Control Commission” (AGCC), “Malta Gaming Authority”(MGA), “Gibraltar Regulatory Authority”, “Curaçao eGaming”.
It can seem strange, but one gaming commission that control gambling and gives licences exists even in Canada. It is “Kahnawake Gaming Commission” that stays in Quebec, one almost independent area in Canada that can’t be controlled by the government. More than 50 online casino operators are licenced by KGC. Here are some of them: Spin casino, Bovada casino, Goldfishka casino, All slots casino etc.
KGC has 4 kinds of licences: Interactive Gaming Licence, Client Provider Authorisation, Inter-Jurisdictional Authorisation, Key Person Permit that permit any type of gambling business to be more trusted. The process of getting such permissions isn’t very difficult. More and more foreign online casino operators want to be licensed by KGC for being respected by Canadian customers.
KGC has a great reputation all over the world!
Gambling Age Restrictions
In each territory and area there are the authorities that regulate the main rules of gambling. That’s why there is no one exact age when a Canadian can begin to gamble in casinos. Usually the age restrictions stay between 18 and 19 years old. Mostly in Canada the person can gamble from the age of 19. They can’t visit casino’s restaurants or theaters. But in Alberta, Quebec e Manitoba land casinos accept also people from the age of 18. What about online gambling, all depends on the casino’s rules.
Features of the Canadian Online Casinos
As we have seen each country has its own rules in gambling. So let’s try to understand if there are any difficulties for Canadians to play online casinos, if they have any special profits in playing on sites of offshore online casinos, what kind of games they can expect etc.
Before registration it’s better to read on the site all information about bonuses, because conditions of their use can be different. All depends on the policy of online casino operator.
The well-known offers proposed to Canadian players are next:
- No Deposit Bonuses (free spins or free game);
- Matched Welcome Bonuses (free spins, money for the first game or the first deposit)
- Extra Deposit Free Spins (much more free spins or free chips in Live Dealer game for another deposit);
- Tournament Entries (bonus round with usually little prizes);
- Reload Bonuses (can be useful for those who lose their bankroll).
There are also special bonuses for using mobile version of online casino, for example Ikibu proposes mobile casino with more than 800 games and interesting bonuses without any downloading and occupation of mobile’s memory.
And we shouldn’t forget about promotions and offers that can appear when nobody waits it!
If the customer has any problems or questions about online casino, it’s possible to resolve all problems, using the customer support service. Their specialists will be happy to explain everything and to sort out all misunderstandings. Some casinos such as Sports Interaction Casino or CasinoLuck can provide you with 24/7 speaking support both in English and in French. The specialists can contact you with an e-mail, live chat or phone call.
Canadians like to pass their time in gambling, so among lots of types of online casino games each person can choose the favourite one. Canadian online casinos are happy to offer a lot of variants of famous classic games, for example, blackjack or slots.
But what other types of games can play a Canadian customer? Here there are:
- Slots games mostly have slots with 5 reels that are presented with the help of different graphic design. But the classic 3-reel games exist too. Nowadays a lot of slots are made for online playing, however so famous Aristocrat’s or IGT’s live casino slots can be also played.
- Progressive Jackpots could be found in slots which are connected between several online casinos such as Mega Fortune, Mega Moolah, Arabian Nights etc.
- Table Games of all kinds (roulette, blackjack, poker, baccarat, keno) are available for Canadians players. But there are also different variants of these games. For example, the player can play American, European or even in some Canadian online casinos in French roulette.
- Live Casino games can be also different. The player can play poker, roulette, blackjack, baccarat without using any software. So the player in online can watch and control how a real dealer works. The process of such kind of gaming is longer, but it seems more real than a software games. That’s why a lot of persons like it. As examples of the best online casinos with live casino games could be 888Casino, 3DRed Casino, CasinoLuck and many others.
Higher we have discussed which sites can be considered safe. So let’s make some kind of summery. The online casino operator can be trusted if:
- it is licenced by special and respected worldwide authorities;
- this operator has a seal on their site of organization that has given a licence;
- the operator is presented in the lists of licensing authority;
- there are many positive reviews of customers about this online casino;
- online casino operator respects all laws of the territory where you live.
Exist a lot of payment methods that are used everywhere. Mostly they are always the same: credit cards, e-wallets, cryptocurrency etc. But all of them have their own rules such as time of transaction, fees, max and min sum of money for transaction. That’s why, before using any of them, it’s better to assure yourself if you know all conditions. You can do it on the sites of these systems or also directly on the online casino support.
The most online casino operators are friendly to Canadian players. They want to do their best and offer the most pleasant conditions for playing. So in many online casinos Canadian customers can make without any problems deposits in Canadian dollars, which can be accepted at the same way as US dollars.
The most used pay methods in Canada are:
- Visa or MasterCard can help you in a case of emergency deposit, because all money will arrive in your account in maximum 10 minutes;
- E-wallets (Apple pay, NETELLER) begin to be more and more popular among people;
- E-payment (Paypal) isn’t always possible, because some systems, such as Skrill, don’t function more in Canada;
- Prepaid cards (PaySafeCard) are very useful for those who prefer to devise their real and “online” money.
Usually online casinos in Canada work with pay systems that can be used for both deposit and withdrawal processes. But users should be attentive because all systems used in each online casino could have different minimal and maximum sum for withdrawals. For example, the minimal and maximum withdrawal sum of 888 Casino, that can be taken with Visa card or Neteller system, is 20$ and 30.000$ respectively.
Very often loyalty programs are similar to the bonus programs. Usually casinos offer some kind of cash-back or possibility to buy some bonuses. These programs can start after the welcome bonus program. In such way online casino operators want to keep the interest of their customers.