Findings about the cessation of the online gambling industry in Cambodia may be premature. This is how the mass media considers the situation.
South China Morning Post reports that Cambodia continues to struggle with the online gambling industry. In particular, the problem affected Sihanoukville. The essence of the situation is that after a ban on online gambling from January 1 of this year, previously legal operators have become part of the shadow market. Reporters said that the activities of such operators as WM Casino and GoBoEastCasino have not been stopped. The last one did not express a desire to communicate with journalists.
The manager of one of the Wm Casino halls (a land-based gaming establishment) said that live-games are being broadcast in special rooms there, but such games are aimed at players in other countries of the world. At the same time, a video titled “WM Hotel & Casino”, which is posted on YouTube, talks about various digital channels through which users can access online casino services bypassing the new rules. Reporters also found out that the director of the parent company WM Lixin Group is Hug Tu, the nephew of Cambodian Prime Minister Hug Sen. He was a person who issued a directive to combat illegal online gambling operators in August last year.
In addition, the opening ceremony of the GoBoEast site in 2018 was attended by Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An.
The ban on the online gambling industry in Cambodia was a kind of politeness gesture towards the PRC. It was the citizens of China who made up the bulk of the audience of Cambodian online casinos. In its turn, Beijing promised to take on part of the financial obligations associated with the creation of new economic centers in Cambodia.
Let’s remember that the authorities of the Philippines did not succumb to the provocation of the PRC and stated that they would not stop the work of the remote gambling industry. The position was announced personally by President Rodrigo Duterte.